Monday, September 22, 2008

Twig Trial Models & Twig Graphic

The below images show my process in developing a final model for the twig project. I began with exploring several different forms using staples as a unique binding agent (see examples below).



Then I had the the idea of creating an enclosure based on divisors of 12. My aim was to create a logic based enclosure that still echoed the wild nature of the twigs. I used silver wire as my binding agent both for it's strength and potential for curvaceous beauty. The paper was recycled from castoffs of an artist who lived in my apartment community. Its rough, random wrinkled texture as well as slight metallic sheen was perfect for the natural beauty that I hoped to invoke with my project.




However, the above model was perhaps a little too wild. Most distressingly, there was no clear place for the twigs. I improved upon the organization of the twigs in this model with my graphic pictured below.


I choose a jewelry box as my precedent (see "Twig Model Precedent" posting) and inspired by the precious enclosure/sanctuary suggested by this precedent, I created another model. The contrast of the twigs against the earthy red paper ensures that the twigs are the main event. Thread is used as a binding agent for its softer and more natural quality, a softness which also contrasts with the roughness of the twigs. The curved flaps echo the curves of the twigs. The enclosure, and therefore the twigs within it, is literally elevated.




However, unhappy with the quality of my craftsmanship, I experimented with using different materials, a matte board and ribbon technique (which did not work),
and different techniques, such as scoring before folding, as well as using models that had only straight edges (which are far easier to cut neatly than curves).
I came up with another, completely straight sided model that utilized an even brighter red paper and more of that paper.




Iorganized the twigs according to some sketches that I did to present the twigs in a visually pleasing and organized way, and in a way which spoke to their curves (since I had eliminated curves from the paper part of my model).
The asterisk like arrangement of the twigs against the bright red paper was successful. However, I had focused too much on craft based restraints and has lost an overall concept with my model. I went back to thinking about my precedent, and back to my sketch book.



At last, I was ready to construct my final model, which is pictured in my next posting.

No comments: