Saturday, September 6, 2008

My 1st Design Project ctd.

Unfortunately, the next leaf model that I created for an in class critique did not get photographed. It was a large purple spiral with a smaller purple spiral inside it on which my leaf rested. The leaf and spirals were attached to each other through splits in the paper. The picture below is similar, but missing the smaller spiral.

I was able to get personal feedback from 2 of my instructors on this model. Their feedback so inspired me that I created a flurry of models over the next 2 days. I'll spare you a long written account of my thought process & give you my model as it progresses through pictures. To quote one of my professors, "knowing intent does not make a good project".

I tried a different color paper, & experimented with weaving as a more stable attachment mechanism.


Then went back to the purple paper




Then I tried to simply it.
Then I tried to make it more aesthetically pleasing & interesting

In the end, I didn't feel that any of these models were "the one". I wanted my model to speak on several different levels & none of these did. I was running out of time so my construction got more frantic. I finally arrived at a crux of an idea that I liked the morning before it was due. I arrived at school early in order to construct it and present it to the class for a final critique. However, it took longer to neatly construct than I planned and I came to class late. Thus my model was the very last to be critiqued. I got a "great work", which is great :) but I'm anxious for more feedback. I am going to get that shortly, after which I will post my final model. Stay tuned.

No comments: