Over this past Labor day weekend I completed three homework assignments. The first was to finish an exercise started in class. I was given the picture below and asked to draw it by looking at it upside down as pictured.

Below you can see my drawing turned right side up.

My classmates tell me that the point of this exercise is to realize that it is easier to copy a drawing upside down, because one is able to
focus on the individual lines one actually sees, as opposed to trying to draw a whole unit (e.g. a hand) all at once. I don't have enough experience trying to copy drawings to have
gotten this feeling on my own. However, I did learn two things, a. copying another person's
drawing looks better than what I would have been able to do on my own. & b. hands and faces are still harder to draw than other objects, even when copying another person's
work.
Also this weekend we were asked to pull 5 random things out of our school bags and draw them. I choose a pencil, a highlighter, a hair elastic and my
UNCG ID card. Here is my drawing.

It was very hard, just like trying to draw my feet. I don't know what the heck I'm doing, so I hope that next class involves a lesson of some sort. I can use all the lessons I can get!
My final assignment was to practice architectural lettering by filling up both sides of a page of graph paper with letters. The order of the letters was given to us by an instructor. There were five goals in writing these letters: 1. to keep the letters evenly spaced 2. to keep the letters evenly sized. 3. To make the vertical lines as straight as possible 4. to slightly angle the horizontal lines in order to give the letters energy. & 5. to above all make the letters look as consistent or as similar as possible. Here is the first side of my page:

& here is the second side of my page:

I'm definitely getting better. However, I need much more practice. Unfortunately, I developed a killer blister on my finger from holding the pencil too tightly, so I am going to wait a couple days until practicing some more. I'm also going to get one of those plastic finger grip correctors.
No comments:
Post a Comment