Friday, February 6, 2009

Figures from Artist Blogs

There are so many inspiring artist blogs to view. I've been looking through them to find inspiration for developing my own style of figure drawing. The amazing level of talent out there is more than a little intimidating. All the more reason for me to bump-up the time I spend working on my own drawing.


Below are some images from the blog of my drawing teacher Suzanne Cabrera . She is one of the blogging artists that I follow.
One of the reasons that I am really drawn to her drawing is the way her personality seems to jump off the page. Her drawings appear simple at first glance, but are remarkably complex in the way they impart emotion. The drawing above, a self portrait, is more life like than a photo in that way.
This drawing (above) is of a friend. I don't know this person, but I feel that I have a sense of who she is. Below is a drawing of various students posing. It is interesting to observe the difference in technique. Unlike the figures above, the figures below were drawn live.


My next drawing is from the blog of Laura Frankstone . I see that she is from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where I lived as a child. I think that this might be the same Laura Frankstone who lived in a big beautiful old house in my neighborhood. Ironic that I use the Internet to search worldwide and end-up finding someone who is very near.
The technique used above is one I admire, but not similar enough to my contour line approach for me to attempt.


My next featured artist is Merideth Gimbel. Her figures appear so real.
I like the way she exaggerated the length of the hands in the witch below. I am going to consider this technique in my own fairy tale inspired drawings.


My next featured artist, Kristen Elder, also infuses her drawings with an element of fantasy.
I love the drawing/painting above. It is interesting how the following drawings are all so different in mood, yet are all clearly done by the same very talented person.



My final artist, Andy Erekson, worked with an unusual medium, an Nintendo. I find these to be really beautiful and engaging. Isn't it amazing how accurate his proportions are, especially considering the medium.



It is interesting to look at the proportions of the child above. I didn't come across a lot of drawings of children.

2 comments:

Laura Frankstone said...

Hi Rebecca! I found you through Google Alerts, which lets me know when my blog or me appears on the internet. (You'd be surprised at some of what emerges!)
I wish I'd known you when you were a child, but the person you remember was my husband's first wife Frances. I lived in a pretty old house in Chapel Hill, too, but my last name was different.
You're on a wonderful path with your artwork. Email me if you ever want to go out sketching.
All the best,
Laura F.

Unknown said...

your pretty smile made me pop on your site...
good luck with school..
great blog...
mona & the gaffer girls
ps have a great week