Monday, February 9, 2009

Drinking & Drawing

This past Saturday, I took my sketch book to Caribou, and drew the people that I saw around me while enjoying a white berry mocha followed by a spiced apple cider.



I tried to incorporate writing into my drawings. I used water colours in the drawing above, but markers from the drawing below bled through the page. These two teenagers were fun to observe. They spent a lot of time leaning in towards each other across the table, and the girl (facing me) blushed and giggled quite a bit. I tired to pretend that I was drawing the fireplace behind her, but I think she caught on to what I was doing. There seemed to be a slight element of performance creeping into her behavior.

I did the above drawing while gathering up my nerve to draw more people. The light is colored using my new charpak markers.

The above vignette was done outside. It was supposed to be of three women (college aged) sitting around a table with another table (the one that I was sitting at) in the foreground. I had a good angle for pretending that I was drawing the cars that passed by on the street. Unfortunately, the women suddenly got up and left in the the middle of my drawing. They took their half full drinks inside to escape the cold.



After the unfortunate incident with the disappearing subjects, I turned my attention to another outside person, a smoker. I figured that this made it far more likely that he would stick out the dropping temperature. This subject, although reading intently, proved to be very difficult. He keep moving, turning his head and crossing and uncrossing his legs. The markers that I used in the drawing below, once again bled through the page.



In this drawing, I used markers to accent the chairs and woodwork, while water colour was used to highlight the writing and give colour to the light shining in the fireplace. I don't think that the finality or the saturation of the markers works as well as watercolour with the sketch like quality of the drawing.






No comments: