Monday, November 10, 2008

Pathways, Edges & Boundaries - Design Planing

As part of the oasis group, I have been working on a design for that area that will fit with our project concept of an interactive progressive gateway. In the research phase of this project, I took the general dimensions of our area (the widest parking lot medium across from the middle of the building).



However, I did not measure the placement of the three trees and two signs in our medium or the width of the curb. For accurate planing, it was going to be necessary to know these things. So, myself and another group member went out to take some measurements.
Based on these measurements, I drew a site plan for our area. I made the site plan as big as I could, while still allowing it to fit on a single standard 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper. To do this, I used the scale 3/16": 1'


Then, I scanned my drawing into the computer and created a digital image that retained the original scale. I then put this image on a word document with labels and the scales written in.

I printed out many copies of this handout, so that it could be used for design planning and brainstorming by both individual group members and during group meetings.


For my own design planning purposes, I took many pictures of the Oasis. First from outside the area from a variety of different angles.





Then, I took pictures from with in the area looking out, and closely at different elements.





Using my pictures as inspiration, I came up with the following plan.

In this plan, I have used the edge of the medium, a series of straight sides, with curved corners, as inspiration for my design, one which is very conscious of context. The geometric nature of my plan considers two factors: a desire to extend the geometric nature of the building into the parking lot area, and the challenges of working with concrete, our designated material.

I have chosen to outline two pathways. One, moving length wise and slightly diagonal across the medium, has already been worn into the pine straw, and thus appears to be the preferred route of pedestrians from the parking lot to the building's main entrance and main thoroughfare into campus. The other pathway runs width wise across the medium, and is across from a brick divider on the building's exterior surface. It is my thought that this pathway would connect to something constructed on the buildings edge on the other side of the road and/or a crosswalk painted along the road.

I have designed a sculpture consisting of a metal pole running through concrete steps, to be used as a bike rack, and placed on a back corner of the medium. At the front of the medium, there are two decorative steps leading up to a simple bench. In an upper corner of the medium, diagonal from the bike rack, there is a bird bath. Both the bench and the birdbath, are very simple rectangular structures on top of a circular base. However, visual interest is maintained both in the design of placement of the concrete elements and the juxtaposition of the curved and straight lines.

I have put my plan along the images that inspire and explain it on a "throw-up sheet". Each member of the class made one of the sheets. They were each posted on a wall to share with and inspire the class as a whole.


Based on each members individual ideas, the Oasis group can up with a design plan to present to the class. This plan was fairly similar to mine, but with some key differences as well. The group decided to omit the bike rack, steps, and widthwise path, but kept the lengthwise path, bench, and birdbath. In this way, the area would not be overwhelmed with concrete pieces. Also, instead of outlining the existing length wise path, the group decided to actually build a concrete pathway using stepping stones.

No comments: